The aims of the visual arts course at HL and SL are to enable students to:
· investigate past, present and emerging forms of visual arts and engage in producing, appreciating and evaluating these
· develop an understanding of visual arts from a local, national and international perspective
· build confidence in responding visually and creatively to personal and cultural experiences
· develop skills in, and sensitivity to, the creation of works that reflect active and individual involvement
· take responsibility for the direction of their learning through the acquisition of effective working practices.
Having followed the visual arts course at HL or SL, students will be expected to:
1. respond to and analyse critically and contextually the function, meaning and artistic qualities of past, present and emerging art, using the specialist vocabulary of visual arts
2. develop and present independent ideas and practice, and explain the connections between these and the work of others
3. explore and develop ideas and techniques for studio work through integrated contextual study and first-hand observations
4. develop and maintain a close relationship between investigation and a purposeful, creative process in studio work
5. produce personally relevant works of art that reveal evidence of exploration of ideas that reflect cultural and historical awareness
6. develop and demonstrate technical competence and artistic qualities that challenge and extend
personal boundaries (option A) and technical competence and self-direction (option B).