Welcome to the Athletics Home Page. This is the place where you will find out all you need to know about what is happening in the Athletics program. Read the general information below and click on any of the links above.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT ATHLETICS AT NIS
The Athletics Program is divided up into 3 main age groups:
Grades 5 – 6 (& Gr4 exceptions)
Grades 7 – 8
Grades 9 – 12
- ACAMIS – This is our main High School Athletic Conference. This is homestay conference which means that on average, once every 2 years, we host teams from other parts of China and our teams will be staying in host family houses when we travel to tournaments.
- CISSA – This is our main Middle School Athletic Conference. It is Shanghai based with two age groups; Junior (Grade 5 – 6, with Gr4 exceptions) and Senior (Grade 7 – 8). We normally finish our season with a trip to Shanghai to participate in a CISSA tournament.
- SCISAC – This is a 6 school conference involving schools from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao, Xiamen and Chongqing. It is for Grades 8 – 9 and is hotel stay. The sports are: Volleyball, Basketball and Soccer.
- SISAC – A High School, Shanghai-based organisation. We normally compete in a range of the tournaments organised by SISAC and this may vary from year to year; currently Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Badminton, X-Country and Track & Field.
- Shanghai Swim League (SSL) – this is a group of international schools who organise and host a series of swim competitions throughout the year for students from Grade 3 and upwards. We are an integral part of this league and will host events and travel to events though the school year.
Age Restrictions – click on the image below to see the age and grade restrictions for our teams
- SIGN UPS: Sign-ups for the sports are done online via the school’s management information system ‘Veracross’ normally about 1 week before the start of the season
- HOMESTAYS: We are a Homestay school. This means that all students signing up for a sport need to be able to commit to having visiting athletes stay at their house at least once in the school year
- AGREEMENT: Before participating, students and parents need to have read and agreed to the Participation and Guidelines. A summary of this is sent with a letter early in the season and full details can be read in the Athletics Handbook
- PHILOSOPHY: NIS has a very strong philosophy of sportsmanship and fair play. Our coaches are fully committed to ensuring that all our players gain a positive educational experience from being part of the team
- SELECTIONS: CISSA teams are non-selective. All students in a CISSA team will get equal access to participating irrespective of ability. SCISAC teams and all High School teams are selective and, depending on numbers trying out, cuts may have to be made
- DAYS/TIMES: Practices generally are 2 times per week. Times vary depending on the sport and the age of the students. See Calendar link above for Practice Days and times.
- COST: There is a cost associated with any trip. This is subsidised by the school. Estimated costs are listed on the Calendar Overview on the link above.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE ATHLETICS PROGRAM CONTACT:
or visit the Athletics Office at the top of the foyer stairs in the main school building.
Before being accepted onto a sport, both parent and student need to read the Athletics Handbook on the link above.
Please feel free to contact Danny Clarke, Athletic Director to ask a question: