Think systemically……5th grade need mentors to be part of the Exhibition system.
Why we have Exhibition
- For students to engage in an in-depth, collaborative inquiry
- To provide students an opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning
- To provide students with an opportunity to explore multiple perspectives
- For students to synthesize and apply learning of previous years and to reflect upon their journey through the PYP
- To provide an authentic process for assessing student understanding
- To demonstrate how students can take action as a result of their learning
- To unite the students, teachers, parents and other members of the school community in a collaborative experience that incorporates the essential elements of the PYP
- To celebrate the transition of learners in the primary to middle/secondary education
Your mentor role
- The role of the mentor is chiefly to advise and keep students on track
- There should be regular meetings. For the most part we would like mentor meetings to happen during UOI time, in the grade 5 classrooms.
- Offer advice on locating resources and using them efficiently
- Ask questions (i.e. to clarify thinking, to help with processing information, to extend knowledge etc.)
- Help interpret sophisticated/difficult information
- Facilitate interviews, telephone calls, any electronic communication
- Goal setting and time management advice
- Be supportive and encouraging
- Celebrate achievements and successes with the students
Please email any of the grade 5 teachers if you are willing to be a part of this exciting journey!