NIS is an environmentally conscious campus and community. Sustainability is part of our mission and strategy. Environmental action falls under both strategic goals-Student Voice and Choice and Burst the Bubble. As such, we have the responsibility to model and teach sustainable use of resources to our students. This means not wasting what we don’t really need.
What can you do?
- Use the NIS paper-saving system in your room-have students take responsibility. Orange box: paper used on one side to be reused. Blue box: paper used on both sides to be recycled-empty in large coloured bins in corridors. Green box by printers: used paper in excellent condition for printing (if you have lots of printable used paper, please distribute it among the printers).
- Reduce printing to essential printing only; find alternatives. Teach students to check settings before printing.
- Print on used paper-teach your students to do the same.
- Avoid laminating
- Shut doors, especially outside ones, when AC and heating are on.
- Turn off classroom lights and Smartboards when not in use.
- Encourage a reduction of food waste.
- Encourage wrapper-free snacks-teach students to be responsible for their litter.
- Encourage students to bring reusable water bottles.
- Discourage students from using disposable cutlery in Cafeteria.
- Return cutlery to Cafeteria (did you know that about 100RMB-worth of cutlery goes missing every day?!)
- Borrow plates, cups etc.-don’t buy disposable ones. Many classes in PYP have boxes of these items.
See the NIS Sustainable Events guidelines for more information.