Pfrang Day tomorrow, rain or shine, from 4pm!
Author Archive | kathadams
Come and join in the fun on Saturday 23rd September and help others at the same time! All proceeds go to improving underprivileged children’s lives through education. Primary School students must be accompanied by an adult.
4-6:30pm: 50RMB per person
4pm-late including BBQ: 100RMB under 12s; 200RMB 12 and over
- Bubble ball
- Snag Golf
- Human foosball
- Bouncy castle
- Badminton, volleyball, softball, touch rugby for families
- Football and basketball shoot-outs (PRIZES!)
- Student Council fun and games
- Live music
In the case of rain, the event will go ahead.
Please sign up on Veracross if you would like to join the Sustainability Committee this year. Looking forwards to a year of action and progress!
NIS is an environmentally conscious campus and community. Sustainability is part of our mission and strategy. Environmental action falls under both strategic goals-Student Voice and Choice and Burst the Bubble. As such, we have the responsibility to model and teach sustainable use of resources to our students. This means not wasting what we don’t really need.
What can you do?
- Use the NIS paper-saving system in your room-have students take responsibility. Orange box: paper used on one side to be reused. Blue box: paper used on both sides to be recycled-empty in large coloured bins in corridors. Green box by printers: used paper in excellent condition for printing (if you have lots of printable used paper, please distribute it among the printers).
- Reduce printing to essential printing only; find alternatives. Teach students to check settings before printing.
- Print on used paper-teach your students to do the same.
- Avoid laminating
- Shut doors, especially outside ones, when AC and heating are on.
- Turn off classroom lights and Smartboards when not in use.
- Encourage a reduction of food waste.
- Encourage wrapper-free snacks-teach students to be responsible for their litter.
- Encourage students to bring reusable water bottles.
- Discourage students from using disposable cutlery in Cafeteria.
- Return cutlery to Cafeteria (did you know that about 100RMB-worth of cutlery goes missing every day?!)
- Borrow plates, cups etc.-don’t buy disposable ones. Many classes in PYP have boxes of these items.
See the NIS Sustainable Events guidelines for more information.
Enormous thanks to a number of staff who helped to make this year’s Pfrang Gala another great success:
To Triona for her beautiful performance
To Arek and the facilities team for their organisation and flexibility
To Suzy and Christel for supervising the prize table
To Sandra for her tireless work behind the scenes on tickets and table plans
To Michael for keeping the band in check
To Juan for helping with set-up and tidy up
To Kasson for his entertaining MC-ing
Final total to follow soon.
Pfrang Gala tickets are still available from Sandra Fuchs. Join us for a fun evening for a great cause. Top dance band, great prizes, good food and friends.
Tickets are still available for the Pfrang Gala on Saturday 27th May from Sandra Fuchs. Tickets cost 750RMB each, which includes pre-dinner drinks, 100RMB towards drinks or raffle tickets, dinner and a fantastic band. Get a table of 10 together-pay now or pay later. ALL proceeds pay for the complete high school education of over 300 students. To find out more about the Pfrang Association, see the website here: The Pfrang Association
The annual Pfrang trip to visit some of the students we support is coming up from Sunday 16th April to Monday 17th. Should you be interested in joining the trip, please email me as soon as possible: firstname.lastname@example.org
A reminder that NIS is celebrating Earth Hour this Saturday from 6pm to 9pm. Come with your families to enjoy live music, games, displays, arts and crafts. See the attached reminder: EH final reminder 2017-qirsxl
We are putting the final programme together for Earth Hour on Saturday 25th March. We have a list of performers from Ms Keus, but are aware that there are others who would like to perform too. Paul Meyer requests that these people contact him by email as soon as possible: email@example.com
Thanks for your support.
Cross-fit is continuing on Wednesdays at 6 a.m. and Saturdays at 10 a.m. for students, staff and parents. Please don’t forget to sign up on Veracross. You have till February 27th to sign up if you are planning on attending any sessions this year.
Want to know what Creative New Undertakings look like in Grade 4? Drop in on Friday after break to chat to students. Student Voice and Choice-inclusion, trial and error, blended learning-in practice!
Exciting news! The Sustainability Guidelines prototype team is proud to say that the new website is up and ready to be shared. We will be inviting people to join us on Tuesday 24th January in the Cafe at 2:50pm for drinks and snacks and to view the website. We will have people on hand to guide you through the website and to answer questions. If you do not receive a direct invitation but are interested, please email me by Friday.
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Very many thanks to everyone who contributed to buying Giving Tree gift tags for our Pfrang students; we have sold them all. The PYP class that bought the most, and therefore the recipient of a trophy and sweets, is 1A, Ms Brown‘s class. The advisory that bought the most is Mr Lee‘s. I’ll drop off the prizes this morning. The winner of the raffle was Elizabeth from BSN. Congratulations to the winners and thanks again for your support. You have brought cheer to our students’ lives.
The Sustainable Events prototype team is aiming to collaborate with various community groups to put sustainability at the forefront of planning events. We are meeting upstairs in the cafeteria at 12:30 TODAY for anyone who is interested in seeing what it’s about or who would like to get involved in supporting.
Please return all Giving Tree gift tags to me in C146 by Tuesday morning. Many thanks for your support-all gift tags have been sold. Winners of the homeroom/advisory competition plus the raffle will be announced soon.