The resurgence of nationalism – Scotland
Why are people against globalization? Brainstorm the possible reasons and viewpoints.
Aim of this lesson:
- To be able to discuss anti-globalization movements.
What is anti-globalization?
Case Study: ANTI-GLOBALISATION PROTESTS
Protests in Seattle in late 1999 are seen as a watershed in the evolution of the anti-globalization movement:
- Approximately 60000 (from 700 different groups) people descended on the city to take part in what has become known as the ‘Battle of Seattle’ between 29 November and 2 December 1999.
- The WTO trade talks were postponed.
- Rioting took place and damage was relatively widespread.
- The US military intervened and declared martial law.
- The media emphasized the anarchy and the chaos of the protest.
- Bill Clinton, then President of the USA, decried the method of protest – but acknowledged the protesters had some worthwhile points to make.
“The greatest weapon of mass destruction is corporate economic globalization.” Discuss this statement. [15 Marks]Quote by Kenny Ausubel.
Aims of this lesson:
- To be able to discuss [offer a considered and balanced review that includes a range of arguments, factors or hypotheses] the attempts to control migration into the United States of America.
- Revise your case study of migration from Mexico to the USA
US control immigration through biometrics:
Exam style question:
Explain attempts to control migration into one named country [10 marks]