- used throughout the project to document its development
- an evolving record of intents, processes, accomplishments
- a place to record initial thoughts and developments, brainstorming, possible lines of inquiry and further questions raised
- a place for recording interactions with sources, for example teachers, supervisors, external contributors
- a place to record selected, annotated and/or edited research and to maintain a bibliography
- a place for storing useful information, for example quotations, pictures, ideas, photographs
- a means of exploring ideas and solutions
- a place for evaluating work completed
- a place for reflecting on learning
- devised by the student in a format that suits his or her needs
- a record of reflections and formative feedback received.
- used on a daily basis (unless this is useful for the student)
- written up after the process has been completed
- additional work on top of the project; it is part of and supports the project
- a diary with detailed writing about what was done
- a static document with only one format.