History is a reconstruction of the past using evidence and a little imagination.
This is a short unit. The purpose is to ignite excitement into studying history and to help you to gain some some of the skills to become a history detective.
- Welcome AtL skills / Expectations / Notebook set out and note taking / participation / attitude
- Class discussion questions:
What is humanities?
What is history?
How is history divided (chronology)?
How do we study history (evidence)?
Is studying history important? If so, why?
- Take the History Quiz in teams. How much do you already know? What do you want to find out?
- Key vocabulary list to help you understand the unit
- Think about chronology and time lines. What does that mean? Use a timeline in teams.
Interactive Timeline web site:
- How can you apply chronology and time lines to your own experience?
- Researching history
A deeper look into evidence that history detectives use, such as archeology.
Radio carbon-dating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx3BqQ44zDE
Archaeologist discoveries in history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWH1sNUkeF0
How can we evaluate EVIDENCE when investigating the past?
OPVL = Origin, Purpose, Value, Limitation
- Grade 8 Humanities Assessment Criteria Gr8 2015-16 Humanities Assessment Criteria
Always remember to include BOLTS (borders, origin, legend/key, Title, Scale)